CCAT Models Tested
CCAT tested three types of models during the pilot:
- One non-uniformed police officer with specific mental health training and one mental health professional (MHP) working as a team in one vehicle.
- Two non-uniformed police officers with specific mental health training working as a team in one vehicle.
- Two CARES Mental Health Professionals (MHP) responding to police calls when requested by uniformed police officers on the scene.
Two key features were necessary for the success of the program:
- Calls involving behavioral health crises needed to be diverted specifically to CCAT units by 9-1-1 dispatch.
- The CCAT team needed the ability to follow up with those contacted after the initial crisis was over.
Consultation has concluded